“10 people over the age of 65 develop mild cognitive impairment”(greatseniorliving.com). The question that comes up when memory loss begins to occur is how do I or my elders maintain or boost the brain? After all, memory is a vital part of our lives, who we are and what we hope to be. Memory aids us in everyday living tasks in both basic and complex situations. Those who take proactive steps in maintaining cognitive durability will live a healthier and more satisfying life. Here are some helpful tips that you can try :
- Chunking : Memorize a long sequence of numbers, words, or shapes and break them down into smaller groups This aids in remembering chunks of information.
- Varied repetition : Reviewing information multiple times, over time, and in different ways. Take notes about something, reading it a couple days later, or paraphrasing what you learned to someone else.
- Keep challenging yourself : Keep learning new things, use brain training games, activities that challenge your body to work with your mind, and stay social.
- Dakim Brainfitness : Is a clinically proven memory game for seniors that improves memory in eight areas of the brain that enables us to perform at a high level. We use this system at Bel Aire and our residents enjoy how it enables them to remember details in a fun and interesting way. We have received very good results and would recommend this system to anyone.
Not only do visual exercises improve health but also physical exercise such as :
- Brisk walking : There has been a study on the activity of brisk walking and how it increases the size of the brain region involved in memory formation.
- Overall physical activity helps to maintain old network connections within the brain and make new ones for an increase in cognitive health.
- Aerobic exercise.
Getting up and moving, stimulating your brain and taking care of your health will create a path to a more enhanced memory. Make sure you’re sleeping for the recommended amount of time, eating rich foods such as fish, veggies, and whole grains, maintaining a healthy mindset by staying positive. The above tips can be a great source but also being creative and challenging yourself to find what works for you will determine a successful path.