We at Bel Aire Senior Living thought we would take a little time and talk about hospice with you guys!
Our friends from Elevation Home Health and Hospice tell us that “hospice care is a special type of care designed to provide comfort and support to clients and their families when a life-limiting illness no longer responds to cure-oriented treatments…It is designed to provide the best possible quality of life for those with a life limiting illness. The care is provided in the comforts of your home or a homelike setting..”.
Elevation also tells us that “Most people believe they can only receive hospice services during the last few days or weeks of life. Actually clients typically could have qualified long before choosing to elect their hospice benefits.”. They suggest that families seek a hospice evaluation as early as they can so they can receive the full benefits of a hospice program. Here are some signs to look for when considering this as an option.
- Increased visits to the hospital, emergency room, or your personal physician
- Loss of appetite or unexplained weight loss
- Health changes, including incontinence
- Requiring more assistance in activities of daily living
- An increased need for medication to control pain and discomfort
- Increasing frequency and severity of falls
- Sleeping more than 12 hours a day
- A diagnosis of a terminal condition (e.g., CHF, Cancer, Alzheimer’s, etc.)
Putting a loved one on hospice can seem so daunting or final. We at Bel Aire Senior Living know how tough these decisions can be. However, sometimes it is the exact right decision for your loved one. For more information regarding Home Health and Hospice, visit Elevation’s website or call us at Bel Aire!
1088 E 390 S American Fork UT 84003